Sunday, November 21, 2010

Espanol and Chicken

Once again as usually, another week has passed.  Its funny how that happens once a week.  It was another good week.  Where to begin?  Well Monday I only teach two classes so I got a lot of planning and preparing for the week done.  And not having the crusade gave me a lot of time and each night I got really prepared for my classes.  Which made classes go really smooth this week.  Plus I'm getting use to everything now and know what works better than other things, and its really coming along.  It feels really nice. 

On Tuesday Mr. Cabanas (the principal) was able to pick up my package for me at the post office in Belmopan.  I didn't know who it was from and to my surprise it was from my old academy, Paradise Adventist Academy.  It was really nice and quite a surprise.  If any of you from PAA read this, thank you so much, it was a nice spirit lifter.  There was a lot of post-it notes which I am thankful for, and paper clips, pencils, school stuff etc which is useful.  They also gave an overhead transparency pen, and it made me totally think, why am I not using overheads.  So I've set it up and I'm totally going to use overheads this next week in classes.  I'm pretty excited for that actually. 

Friday was a holiday here this past week which was nice too.  But its not the same as back home where everyone is getting a week off for Thanksgiving, I miss the holiday seasons.  No Thanksgiving for Matt =(, well I'll be thankful, just no feast.  I really like food, so that will be a shame =P. Anyways, ADRA gave the church for the community two hundred pound bags of beans and people from the community have been coming for it.  Thursday afternoon not many people came because it was raining.  Friday morning was holiday so I slept in a little bit, until seven something and I went outside my house because I had to go to the restroom, and I see a man standing outside of the church.  I figured he was there for beans, so I went to the restroom and went back into my house and put more clothes on and grabbed the keys to the building where the beans were.  I came back out and met with him.  He didn't speak English, and I speak very little espanol.  In fact what I said, "No hablo mucho espanol."   But I was able to use my little bit of Spanish I know and was able to communicate with him and give him some beans.  It was a really nice way to start the day and to be able to serve someone and be used by God.  It's nice to know that God gives us what we can handle.  =) 

Then later that night we had our small groups meeting that we have split our church into.  We (Landeros and I) went to the Vasquez family's house.  There house is small and its a dirt floor, and I believe there's 10 in there family.  Then there was another small family.  There was 19 of us in all.  It was in Spanish too, so I spoke a little bit more.  Then after the meeting they gave us food.  Which was really nice of them and there's so many of them, I didn't want to be rude and tell them, I don't eat meat.  They're new members and I don't want to offend them and I don't want to come across as I am better than you, so I ate it.  Now today, I paid the price a little bit.  I'm not sick, just a little upset.  But it was worth it and I hope I did the right thing, and I have a funny story out of it now. 

Yesterday the church was F to the ULL, super full!  It was really nice to see.  Oh, and my Sabbath School class is HUGE!!!!  There's like 20 or so, and they really aren't youth age so I really need to change my planning.  They're more, junior and early teen aged.  I'll have to plan more for that next week.  Sabbath was good as a whole, and I really enjoyed it.  I really do enjoy life here.  Now I miss everyone, but life is good.  The church is growing, and I'm super busy with school and church, and that's honestly about it ha ha.  It's really good though, I do have a purpose and that's to serve!  Thank you everyone for reading and keeping me in your prayers.  Thank you Thomas family for commented on my last post.  It was nice and encouraging, I was really wondering if I should keep blogging.  (hint hint others.  Please comment!!!)  Ha ha, well I shall share more eventually.  Maybe sometime this week, or if not, as usually I'll post next weekend probably.  Oh, tomorrow I have a field trip, so that will be an adventure.  Alright take care and God Bless!!  Offer still stands if anyone wants to help here.  =P

2 comments:

  1. Matthew! Don't stop blogging! I read every one! I love hearing about your life there and told as only you can tell! You are funny!! I'm sad that you don't get a Thanksgiving dinner! Riki, Randi and Kevin are coming and we are going to have our Thanksgiving dinner with the Warings! It will be a fun time! It's stormy here and I hear that is supossed to snow in Paradise this week. I'm sure the kids are bummed that they don't get to miss school for a snow day but the first snow is always exciting. I guess alot of kids are home from college but I haven't seen many of them yet. I think Brandon and Lucas are going to stop by this afternoon. It will be fun to hear about life at WWU not that I don't have any kids there. Life continues to keep me busy keeping up with work, church and music makes for very little down time. I have this week off from work so I am very happy about that! It sounds like you have practically NO down time! I get tired just reading about your schedule! So glad that things are falling into place more for you. It's amazing that you're actually a teacher! But I feel proud everytime I read about all that you are doing. What a blessing to the people there! So, know that we are reading your blogs and praying for you! We miss you too!!

    Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Matt! Just so you know, I read your blog every time you post. I love hearing about all your little adventures! I need to get your address so I can send you something. Message me it on facebook or something.

    ReplyDelete