Monday, February 28, 2011

The Happenings

Well, I really don't remember what happened two weeks ago.  Last week I did plan to update but then, life got very busy with the crusade.  Still really busy, but I'm going to go ahead and blog.  Where to begin.  Oh, I remember some things that were two weeks ago.  Wow, that's only been two weeks, not even.  Well, I've been getting more and more involved with the students.  It's really nice and I feel more appreciated and important to them too.  I don't remember all details unfortunately, but I will talk about a Thursday.  Not last Thursday but the Thursday before that.  Oh, I'm remembering more.  I'll even go earlier than that.  I've been tutoring after school on Mondays and Wednesdays for those who want help in Math.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays are sports so it's too late to tutor after that.  I've been tutoring and it's nice to be more personable with the students and meet their needs.  Like two students in my First Form Math class.  They just sit in class and don't do anything.  Sometimes they talk.  That's pretty much it though, it's really frustrating because they don't even try.  They were still around after school so I told them to come in and I started helping them.  They were getting excited because it was making sense to them and they found out it isn't too hard.  One even said, "This is easy.  We just never pay attention."  Why!?!?!  It felt really good that day letting them know they can do it and it's not too difficult for them.  Unfortunately they still don't seem to try.  I've helped other students though and they have been improving.  Also helping one of those two boys helped him on his test score.  The tutoring has been adding to my busy-ness.

Then Thursday, after sports, a student named Judith stayed afterward and was playing with another teacher, Denny Cabanas, and I asked Kelly if he wanted to go play with them and he was down.  We got changed and went over and played for a while.  It was fun and got some exercise which is always nice.  When we were done playing though I went to the staff room because I still had to write a test for the next day and Judith just sat in there and talked with me.  I listened too, I wasn't just writing a test.  She was sharing a lot and I really think crying out for attention.  She plays the tough, cool kid, but she really listens to us teachers and respects us.  She told me she started drinking when she was 5 years old.  Her dad has always been into drugs and alcohol.  Judith has had a tough life.  We talked for a long time, well, more she talked and I listened but I did chime in every once and a while.  It was really nice.  That Sabbath she came to church too.  We talked a little after church and I was able to give her a Steps to Christ.  I'm not sure if she has finished reading it, but I know she likes to read.  She use to read Nancy Drew books in class.  She said she was going to go to church this week too, but I was out at another church promoting the school, but I'm sure she'll come again soon.

Last Sunday, before we began our crusade, we had a Health Expo.  I helped set that up and then they needed someone to do the exercise portion, and so I was the man for the job.  I had to take people's pulse, have them exercise, take their pulse again, have them rest, and take there pulse one more time.  Now have about 50 or so people go through and keep track of all of them.  It was crazy busy for me and I can't multitask well, I'm a man and all, makes it difficult.  After my fun with touching people's wrists, I helped take down the place and move bricks, tables, whatever have you back to there places.  I got home, had to bathe and eat, then go right back for the meetings.  Ever since then, the crusade has been every night.

This last week was a busy busy week that has been very exhausting.  I'll share some positive and encouraging parts though, then I need to get to bed.  Earlier this last week, about 5 students came up to me and asked if they could start practicing and have me coach them for basketball for sports day.  Now let me explain a little.  Here in Belize there is 5 or 6 Adventist Highschools.  They all get together in April, and have a sports day and compete against each other.  I was a little surprised because it seems really early to me and I have a lot on my plate already, but I told them soon.  Maybe next week we can start, after the crusade.  They also invited me to play basketball in Belmopan on Sunday because they play there every week.  Another encouraging thing is a student in my Homeroom, 3rd Form Class, Daniel, has gone to a couple of the meetings.  He has always seemed to follow along in devotions and likes to sing the songs.  It's nice knowing that God could be using me to get to him.  It's sweet, he came again tonight too.

This weekend quite a bit happened too.  We went out and promoted our school.  We put on Sabbath School and Church Service for a place not too far away.  It went well.  Then since the boys invited me to play basketball on Sunday, I asked Denny if I could stay with him in Belmopan and he said sure.  We were chilling in the afternoon and had nothing to do, so I asked if he minds going to a little park that I've always seen and haven't been able to go to and he was into it.  We went there and I saw a lot of leaf cutting ants.  Also got to see a lot of different trees and it was nice to walk out in nature like that.  I've missed that for sure.  Then in the morning I woke up early to play some ball, then none of the students showed up.  I played anyways, I also got to meet the Belmopan pastor.  They all said I can play good and invited me to come again.  It was fun, I will most definitely play again if I can get a ride there and back.  Actually, after I played basketball I hitched hiked back to Valley of Peace.  It sounds dangerous, but it's honestly quite safe.  I was at the gas station right next to the turn off to go to Valley of Peace and there's nothing else out there so if someone is going down that road, they're more than likely going to go all the way to Valley, so I hopped in the back of a truck with a old man in his 50s-60s, an old lady in here 40s-50s, and a young lady in her early 20s with a little child either 2 or 3 years old.  All of us were strangers and it was really neat.  I was enjoying it and taking it all in.  The wind blowing through my hair, the sun was shining, all the beautiful bush and fields on the way to Valley.  I was free and traveling and hitch hiking in Belize!  I got back in time to talk to a bunch of my good friends too.  It was amazing and really great.  Anyways, I should probably get going and sorry everything is in too much detail.  I hope you still enjoy it anyways.  As I usually say, I'll try and blog more often, we'll see though.  Thank you for your prayers and thoughts.  I miss you all and love you.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes when you get closer to the students, you can guilt them into doing their work... You know what they are capable of and so do they. Sounds like you've been having lots of adventures. Sports are always good. I've never done hitch hiking but it sounded like a cool experience. Glad to hear you're doing well :)

    ReplyDelete