Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Culture Shock!

So here I am; I am at Valley of Peace Academy. I’m in the middle of NOWHERE!!! (Which is actually like a place I wanted.) I have super culture shock, or had. Last night was a little rough. It was a combination of things like being super tired, so dang humid and missing Danielle mostly (Sorry if I offended anyone, she’s not the only one I miss, but mostly =P). Also realizing it’s not like this for a week or two, or even a month, I am going to be here for ten months and there’s no easy way to just go home for any reason. But now I am already feeling so much better. I feel like I’m starting to get use to the weather, the humidity doesn’t seem as bad. But what about the community, the school, my living situation? Just hold on I’m about to get there. So the community has a lot of housing that is just tree’s for the house and branches for the roof (it actually is really sweet to me though). There are concrete houses too. The sky is so open! It’s pretty flat where I am and we happen to be at the top of a hill so the sky is so huge and there’s lots of clouds. The school is a decent size and has its own bakery, wood shop, computer lab, library, science lab, farm and I think four classrooms. Oh and a kitchen. There is suppose to be eight of us teaching and more like around 90 students, not 100.
My living situation… it is actually really nice and pretty big, but all I have in it is a bed, a small desk and a chair. I have a lot of room in there and nowhere to really put my stuff. I want to make it homey but I really don’t know how. The toilet is kind of like an outhouse style but it’s an actually toilet so that’s not bad at all, but I have no shower. I have to fill a bucket with water, and then bath myself. So that’s pretty exciting.
I eat all my meals with the other two teachers who are married that live on campus. They are very nice and so good to me. They have two boys, Edson (6) and Etan (4). Those guys are fun and already have a special place in my heart. We’ve played a lot today and they have given me something to do. So the meals. A lot of the meals, actually all of my meals I have had rice and beans. I have had fried planta a few times too already. I’ve tried some fruit as well, mommy (how don’t know how to spell it but that’s how it’s pronounced) and guava.
Tomorrow we must drive about two hours and go to Belize City and do my paperwork. Other than that I really don’t know what I’ll have to do. Oh and if you want an address it is
Valley of Peace
Cayo District
Belize C.A.
They said that will be good enough. Well I should go and hopefully eat soon and go bath with my bucket. God has been good and has been showing me lots of things and has given me great people to help me. Pease continuing praying for me especially as I am adjusting. Goodnight, I love you guys and miss you.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Matt!
    Sounds like you're on quite the adventure!
    How many ways can you prepare rice and beans! Actually, rice and beans are really healthful!
    And I grew up in India taking bucket baths! They are pretty fun after you get used to them! Good way to conserve water.
    Just an idea, but if you or your new friends need anything, post a wish list on your blog for people like me who like to send packages :)
    Love and prayers,
    Mrs. Jenson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs. Jenson!
    I am on quite the adventure. You can't prepare it too many ways, but they are really healthful and I'm not complaining. And I already love bucket showers. I look forward to them each night. Yes, they are a very great way to conserve water.
    Oh wow thanks so much Mrs. Jenson. It's hard for me to think of anything I would need, especially when I come here and I have so much already. But I'm sure I can come up with a list eventually for the school and Edson and Ethan, and maybe some things that I'll realize later that I miss. Thanks for reading, it means a lot to me.

    In God's service,
    Matthew Freedman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt! I should of just had you come over to my house a few days before to get you used to the rice and beans with every meal because it sounds like my house! ;) It sounds like everything is going well and I hope you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad to hear you have such a positive outlook. Continue to trust in God buddy but from the looks of it, I don't think you'll have any trouble with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Rai, you should have. I'll probably have to stop by when I get back so I can get some more! Thanks Rai, your in my prayers too. I miss you all.

    ReplyDelete