Monday, August 23, 2010

School's in Session

Hello Everyone!!!
Things are improving day by day. Just adjusting and figuring myself out and why I’m here and my purpose. I went askew somewhere along the way and just confiding in Jesus helps a lot to figure things out. And to be comforted. We should always confide in Jesus even when things are great; especially when things are great.
I’ve been meaning to blog lately but every time I get on I get distracted. Not distracted; just I really enjoy talking to people that I really miss. But anyways here I am blogging without internet access so this will be posted later. Tomorrow is the first day of school. Finally going to start being really busy. So I know what I’m teaching now. I am teaching First and Second Form Mathematics, Third and Fourth Form Biology, and Third and Fourth Form Physics. I am also the Third Form home teacher. That means I make sure the kids clean what they’re supposed to, do their community service, and I believe do devotions for their class in the morning, and whatever responsibilities come with it. Therefore, I have my own classroom, but a lot more work.
As I said school starts tomorrow. We still don’t have one teacher that we need so that is going to be interesting. If anyone wants to come to Belize and teach English and Bible, I can probably hook you up. You’ll have your own room/house and be feed meals. But yeah tomorrow is only orientation and a half day so not much will happen. I get to meet my class and tell them what’s expected; get to know them a little bit. I have the smallest class. Eleven Third Form students are registered but I was told I’ll probably have fifteen of them. Then hopefully tomorrow we’ll figure out our schedule so I can start planning what to teach on what days.
Oh, I’ve attended the church. There were more people there than I expected. The church was still small but I was told about three families attend. It was a nice little service. I really do enjoy just singing hymns and always having music that we “youth” listen to. I really do enjoy a good hymn. But the sermon, I don’t know how I liked it. There was a great meaning behind it and some of the stories really didn’t tie in, but the people here when the talk, I’ve noticed they really like to repeat what they have already said quite a bit. Then it becomes almost said too much and loses meaning. I know that sounds bad but he was talking about marriage and how young people need to be careful and communication is important and said the same thing over and over and when it becomes lessened like a no duh type of thing and not as meaningful to me. Yet, that could be just because how I’ve been raised in my own culture compared to theirs, or maybe it’s just my thinking. I don’t like the feeling of being told what to do over and over again especially when it seems obvious. But there were good points like, oh if that is a problem with someone else, that could become a problem for us, how do I fix/prevent that. And how when you become married the two shall become one in flesh. You’re no longer two individuals. You are one. You take care of each other like yourself, you make sure everything is going ok and working fine and that you can make life easier and exciting and adventurous, make your dreams come true. Now all that wasn’t said but that’s what I got from it. So many people just think of themselves, even in marriages nowadays and that’s where the devil attacks hardest; on the special gift God gave to us; companionship.
Well now that I have gone of rambling about marriage, I should probably get to bed because tomorrow starts the beginning of the school year. So please pray for me, for guidance and for the Holy Spirit to be in charge of my teaching and life. For it not to be me by myself, because I can’t do it by myself; I must be Spirit led. And I’ll probably add more to this before I post it so thank you for the ones that are praying for me. I love you and miss you all.
So today was pretty amazing not going to lie. Orientation was long and boring of course but I meet all the students and it was fun and exciting. Most of them are really shy to me right now, mostly because it’s the beginning of the school year and I’m a lot different and do things a little different than the other teachers. But when I was introduced and I was making a little talk about how exciting I am and what classes I teach, I accidently said Third and Fourth Farm instead of Form, because the way they pronounce Form here sounds like Farm. Oh well. Then when Kelly was talking, he said that we were already good friends and we both do math and science and we’ll be working together and he really complimented me and I appreciated that a lot. His family has been so great to me. All of them, Kelly, Alondra, Ethan, and Edson. The Landero family. I really enjoy them and I’ll probably spend my holidays with them and be able to travel with them and see wonders. And hopefully some friends, you guys will come and visit and we can travel as well.
So my home room. There is only twelve Third Formers so far. They were really quiet, the quietest of all the classes today; but at the end after all the teachers went to each class they were already more talkative. I want to make sure all my students learn a lot and have fun at the same time. And I’m positive they’ll warm up, it’ll just take a little bit of time. Right now, as the schedule reads I’ll be teaching 25 classes, be in charge of 4 devotions and clean up duty for my class each week. And as of now, I haven’t planned at all and I need to start doing that. But I must share one more thing.
I went with Mr. Cabanas (the principal) today to drop off some students at Belmopan. Then we went to drop something off at a school in Santa Elena so I got to see that and then we just crossed the river so I could so San Ignacio. I was so great to see more of Belize. I was just a few miles away from the Guatemalan border as well. And it was a lot hillier there and mountains were there and I really like that terrain better. It’s prettier to me and more adventurous. Like what’s over that hill? Then you can see everything and it’s so gorgeous, I love look out points. Anyways it was great to go explore more. Well, I guess I should get going and start planning. Thank you all once again for your prayers. Please pray for me and that I may be Spirit led in all that I do. Much love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment